Thursday, January 20, 2011

Carried Along

Have you experienced a dream that completely shifts your attitude about something?

Early this week I was feeling anxious about my ability to adjust to a new situation in my life that is requiring me to learn many new skills very quickly. I felt overwhelmed and fearful of failure. Along came this dream...

"I am moving into a new house. It feels just right for me - the living area is an open-concept design and the house is generally very spacious. There is room for all my furniture. Off the master bedroom is a small room for my young son, and off that room is a smaller room that has art supplies in the closet. Right next to the house is a wholesale grocery store. I hope that I can shop there.
I walk down the street to the beach. I see a very large basket in the sand and a group of people sitting nearby. I join them. A woman climbs out of the basket - it seems she has had a healing experience. There is a woman (healer) who is directing this. I don't see her in detail - she is sitting off to the side and has an aura of mystery about her.  I decide to take a turn in the basket. I lie down and close my eyes.

 

Soon I feel the basket moving along in the sand. I imagine that SHE is pulling me. When I open my eyes, I am being carried along in the water and the other people are swimming all around me. We are heading down the river. I still don't see the woman who is pulling me. I would like to get out and swim, but realize that this is what is needed for now."

I awake with a great sense of being taken care of. I feel relieved and somehow more confident that I will be able to cope with the new situation in my life. I muse about the dream... The house seems to be a metaphor for a new place (in my psyche) where I will be residing. It feels just right for me and I love the sense of spaciousness (lots of room to grow). My son as a child was happy, creative and expressive. These qualities will be residing right next to the 'master bedroom' in my psyche. That's a great sign!! And there is nurture right next door - and wholesale! The beach can be seen as a liminal space, in psychological terms, a marginal transitional state... land to water... a place where boundaries dissolve a little and we move across the threshold  to a new sense of who we are. The basket is such a lovely image. It's soft and pliable and likely hand woven. It encompasses me. All along the way, I am being carried along by this mysterious feminine force. This dream was truly a gift from the Self!

2 comments:

  1. I wish you calm seas and smooth sailing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Considering the very long stretch of turbulent seas, it would be wonderful to reach calm waters!

    ReplyDelete