Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Dream Recall

 One of the most common questions I hear is, "why is it so difficult to remember your dreams?" Some people recall long sagas from the night regularly, some seem to be left with a fragment or image, and some say they never remember a dream.

We know that everyone dreams off and on during the night. Studies tell us that people who sleep more than 8 1/2 hours have 50% more REM (dreaming) sleep than people who sleep less than 6 1/2 hours.

In one study, a relationship was shown between remembering dreams and creative or artistic tendencies. They saw a significantly higher proportion among art students. The lowest recall was among engineering students. The conclusion drawn was that the art students were using more right hemisphere processing (a good deal of the right brain is 'online' while we are dreaming) and had greater memory capability for visual images. The engineering students were more prone to the linear thought processing of the left brain.  Finally the study suggested that an openness to experience and a tolerance of ambiguity help. 

If you're not an artistic type, don't be too discouraged. Something I have experienced in the dream groups is that when a person really wants to remember a dream, the psyche will respond eventually. It seems that intention and an appreciation for what our dreams can offer us, is really key. And perhaps engaging your dream world will help your inner artist to step forward.


1 comment:

  1. I'm an artist, and sometimes I remember my dreams but more often I don't. I usually awake, clutching at dream fragments that slip away like sand in the hourglass. BUT, if I go to bed each night with an intention of remembering my dreams, and persist at it, I find my dream recall does improve, and the dreams become more significant. Remembering and working with dreams is definitely a tool that needs to be kept sharpened. Thanks for reminding me of this!

    ReplyDelete